Protecting Your Home During the Winter
DID YOU KNOW?......
- The protection of the water meter and water services from damage and/or freezing is the homeowner's responsibility.
- If your home is used as a seasonal home, during the winter months it is critical that the meter be left in a heated location to prevent freezing.
- Should the water meter and/or water service freeze, the homeowner is responsible for paying for replacement of the water meter and other damaged frozen equipment and piping. All water that passes through a broken pipe or water meter will be billed to the homeowner. All charges are the responsibility of the homeowner.
WE CAN HELP......
- Please be aware that the Harwich Water Department offers what we call a "seasonal" service to ensure that the water meter and service do not freeze during the cold winter months. If you will be away from the property for an extended time, we recommend that this seasonal service be performed.
- The cost for this service is $50.00. This charge is billed on your regular water bill twice per year.
- Water Department requires a minimum of a two (2) week notice for all seasonal work.
- Access to the water meter must be provided by either a lockbox, key hidden on property or an unlocked door/bulkhead. Download and print the Lockbox Authorization (pdf).
- In the FALL, the house must be drained first either by homeowner or plumber to prevent any damage to the interior and exterior plumbing. After this is completed, the Water Department will shut the water off at the street and winterize and cap the meter.
- In the SPRING, the Water Department goes to the property first.During the two week notification time, the homeowner is responsible for taking into account weather conditions and temperatures.
- If as a seasonal customer, you wish to keep water on for a winter season, as courtesy please notify the Harwich Water Department so that account status may be changed.
For more information, please call our office at (508) 432-0304, and we will be happy to assist you.